Reading to write... what's involved? (Part One)


A few weeks ago, I checked out a bunch of books I like from the library. Some fiction, some non fiction, I even checked out some of the best selling Christian fiction I've ever read. But wait... my book is fantasy fiction, there's no religion in there and it's definitely not a factual story, so why the non fiction and Christian fiction? 
 
Good question! I'll tell you why. The author of each of these best sellers fashions his or her stories in a way that I haven't yet. Please, let me explain...

I've heard so many times, "you have to read, to write
well". And I have seen many different opinions on the subject, but the million dollar question is, do you? After thinking about the “reading to write well” concept, I had some tough questions I had to ask myself. I had been watching movies for inspiration but that wasn't working to help me become a better writer. It gave me great ideas, sure, but it wasn't working as a tool to help me fashion a written action or love scene on paper. So, I started doing some of my own research into how reading affects my writing. Figured I'd share what I found as I started reading to understand how to write.



My grounds: I don't have a best seller, these authors I checked out of the library do so whatever they have written, in the eyes of readers (right now) is better than what I've written logically (because I don't have a best seller, get it?).



Personally, I want to write a fascinating book where the words I've written will transport you to the scene. I want you to feel the jump from the cliff as it unfolds, feel the wind rushing across your face as you free-fall into the depths of the raging river.

In the next two posts, I'll be exploring the answers to these questions:



  1. How do I write it so you can imagine it, feel it?  
  2. What sets this book's writing apart from everyone else's writing? 
  3. Why can't I just watch a movie and be inspired enough to write a good scene? 
So buckle up! Here goes...



-Part ONE-



Question one: How do I write it so you can imagine it, feel it?
Through - descriptive writing, adding dilemma and/or moral question- to your plot and/or characters.

My first step was to find these in what I was reading. Most people connect with a story when the descriptive writing is just that, descriptive. Some are hooked in by the character's moral question, a conflict with another character or dilemma that adds to the plot. Some stories may have more than one of any combination of these.

    An Example from Left Behind; Tim LaHaye and Jerry B Jenkins:
    (Remember) Descriptive writing/ dilemma/ moral question-
    This is Christian fiction and the writing is good - even if you're not a religious person. So in the first chapter the Pilot, Rayford Steele, was running his plane on autopilot, his first mate was asleep in the co-pilot's chair. Ray was daydreaming about having a relationship with his head stewardess, Hattie Durham.
    Rayford was married but didn't feel guilty about his indiscretion since it was only in his head at this point, plus he had been turned off by his wife's current religious practices plus she never had time for him now that she was always at church. Yup he decided... today was the day! He finally garnered the courage to "make a move" on Hattie and decided he'd go now while he still had the gumption. On his way to the back of the plane to see her, he discovered more than half the plane's passengers had just disappeared. (BTW: The writing was great but the movie was atrociously horrible in all capacities)

Quick little background story, I purposely didn't go into great detail here because I found what I needed. So what did I find in this story? Did it draw me in? Can you find it before I mesh on?
(Empathy – Rayford felt neglected in his marriage and embarrassed about his wife's religious practices) To understand this scene and eventually the chapter, the writer had to pull the reader in by making them care about the character personally. (Background information) They talked about his wife and family, including his children, why Rayford felt his behavior was justified and how the other characters that surrounded him reacted to him and vice versa.

(The Moral Question – Cheating – is it justified by the neglect he felt? ) What helps draw you in is the moral question. Assuming the reader believes cheating on a wife and two kids is wrong, the author used that moral question to arouse the reader's interest. What level of cheating is appropriate, if any? Rayford hadn't done it yet at this point in the story but had been fantasizing and planning it in his head for a few years. He ended up not having the chance to do anything because, before the attempt, he discovered that there was a mass disappearance of most of his passengers and no one knew the source of the disappearance at that point.

Another thing I discovered is:
Your moral dilemma or conflict has to be worthwhile.
If you're writing about whether or not to eat donuts, unless your intended audience is 5 and under, I think you're in trouble as far as sales are concerned. Also, there should be smaller dilemma's throughout your story. Let's answer some simple dilemma questions after this passage.

Ex: Johnny's mind wandered as he began his long trek to school as he did every morning. He knew if he didn't make it to school on time he'd be suspended. Normally he wouldn't think being suspended was such a bad thing. Staying at home, watching T.V. and playing video games while his mom was at work. Problem is, he's on his last warning with Principal Skinner, and his mother. He has so much responsibility at home, with his father being sick and bed ridden. Taking care of him, plus cooking, cleaning and watching his kid sister Janey. It was a job he could barely handle as it was, and although not having to go to school would be easier, he hated to upset his mom. “HELP”, a fearful scream came from across the street! He hesitated, it sounded serious but, should he even care? He looked at his phone to see if he had time. 'What could be going on', he thought to himself as he paused to make a decision. "HELP! PLEASE! Somebody help ME!" It came again.  The voice sounded strangely familiar, almost like his mother's.
Task:
      • Who is Johnny? - a student, on his way to school
      • What is his dilemma? - he'll be in trouble with his principal and his mother if he's late for school again and he doesn't want to disappoint his mother. On the flip side of the coin he hears someone screaming for help and the voice reminded him of his mother's, he couldn't just leave them to scream.
      • Moral question?- if someone is screaming for help - are you obligated to help them? Should I ignore the outcry and maybe just call 911? Should I just ignore it altogether and make sure I get to school on time? If I help will they ignore the tardiness since I helped someone? Although the situation here was a simplified passage, there is a lot to think about moral wise. Then there's the safety of Johnny to consider, what if he goes to help and instead of someone needing help there's a gunman waiting in the balance for him?
      • Conclusion? - I left you hanging... Did I create enough drama in this small snippet for you to want to know what Johnny did? How about you give a creative answer in the comments below?
Question: How do I write it so you can imagine it, feel it?
Answer: By finding the moral questions, dilemmas and other conflicts in the story you're reading and figuring out how they were delivered to you, the reader.  Then writing and presenting your own to your readers in a subtle, descriptive way. By adding these things to your writing, you're building a foundation for your characters and plot. While reading other's work you're looking for these examples. Take note at how the author presents this information to you. Is it right away? Do they take their time and parcel this information to you gradually? Conflict is the fuel to the fire of your story.

Of course this isn't the only answer, there are others like:

  • Being descriptive.
  • Having a believable plot
  • Conflict resolution
  • Are your scenes COMPLETE?
So go back and take a look at those good reads again. This time, pay attention to what the author is saying – how is the story laid out for its reader? Don't just read, study the art of what is written.

Here's a link to the cheat sheet for part two. 
Here's a link to the POV helper cheat sheet for part two.
Here's the link to the Novel Framework  cheat sheet.



Until next time, happy reading!

Myka 

XOXO 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Do Or Not To Do... The Worst 'Overcoming Writer's Block' Suggestions